Friday, February 15, 2008

Tupac Shakur: 'Words of Wisdom'


One of my favorite poems by Tupac Shakur. It's a song with two verses and plenty of great political adlibs. Here are just the verses:

This is for the masses, the lower classes
Ones you left out
Jobs were givin', better livin'
But we were kept out
Made to feel inferior, but we're superior
Break the chains in our brains that made us fear yah
Pledge allegiance to a flag that neglects us
Honor a man that refuse to respect us
'Emancipation Proclamation'? Please!
Nigga just said that to save the nation
These are lies that we all accepted
Say no to drugs but the government's keep it
Runnin' through our community, killing the unity
The war on drugs is a war on you and me
And yet they say this is the Home of the Free
You ask me? It's all about hypocrisy
The constitution? Yo, it don't apply to me
And Lady Liberty? Stupid bitch lied to me
This made me stronger, no one's gonna like what I'm bumpin'
But it's wrong to keep someone from learning something
So get up, it's time to start nation building
I'm fed up, we gotta start teaching children
That they can be all that they wanna to be
There's much more to life than just poverty

Amerikkka, Amerikkka, Ameri K K Ka

Words of Wisdom
Based upon the strength of a nation
Conquer the enemy armed with education
Protect yourself, reach for what you wanna do
Know thy self, teach by what we've been through
Armed with the knowledge of the place we've been
No one will ever oppress this race again
No Malcolm X in my history text, why is that?
'Cause he tried to educate and liberate all Blacks
Why is Martin Luther King in my book each week?
He told Blacks if they get smacked, turn the other cheek
I don't get it, so many questions run through my mind
I get sweated, they act like asking questions' a crime
But forget it, 'cause one day I'm gonna prove them wrong
Now every brother had to smother on the welfare line
The American Dream, though it seems like it's attainable
They're pulling your sleeve, don't believe, 'cause it'll strangle yah
Pulling the life of your brain, I can't explain
Beg as you can obtain from which you came
You swear to your mother that you're living in equality
Forgetting your brother that's living her apology
Thought they had us beat when they took our kids
But the battle ain't over till the Black man sings
Words of Wisdom
The battle ain't over till the Black man sings
Words of Wisdom

...Amerikkka's Nightmare...